New appointments for new and existing staff (not for online applicants) - Pre-appointing guidance

1. Important pre-appointing guidance

If any listed scenario applies, review the guidance below before proceeding with the appointing process.

Where an individual's application to work beyond their 'Employer Justified Retirement Age' (EJRA) is approved, the individual must be appointed into a new, fixed-term appointment in PeopleXD. Follow the appointing steps in this guide.

Details of the request and the approval must be recorded in the EJRA UDF.

The previous appointment must be ended - follow the guidance on ending appointments.



Before commencing the engagement, please familiarise yourself with guidance on PSCs on the Payroll webpages. Where appropriate, PSC contractors should be paid via University's payroll, and have a non-employee record created in PeopleXD.

There are three groups of Marie Curie staff:

  1. Marie Curie Fellows (MCF):
    • Post-docs paid against a spot salary, on grade MCF
    • Employed for a minimum of three, maximum of 24 months.
  2. Marie Curie Researchers (MCR): 
    • Early career researchers, post-graduate without a DPhil
    • Paid against a spot salary, on grade MCR
    • Employed for a minimum of three, maximum of 36 months.
  3. Marie Curie Students (MCS early career researcher/student):
    • Normally, three-year studentships with worker status.
    • Non-employees, but have some employment rights.
    • Receive a Student Living Allowance and possibly, other Marie Curie allowances.
    • To request a post for them, do not use the staff request process. Instead, email HR Systems with the required details and they will create the post for you:
      • Expected Start Date
      • Expected End Date
      • Department and Pay Administered by (usually the department)
      • Location
      • Default cost centre for the department (cost allocations can be added later)
      • Hours to be worked
      • Whether a vacancy is required

Approvals may need to be sought before agreeing overseas working arrangements with the individual. Read the University’s overseas working policy for full details.

Details of any approved overseas working arrangements must be recorded in the Overseas working UDF, in PeopleXD.

Secondments within the University

  • Always set up secondments as an additional appointment, keeping the original appointment active. Both the 'seconding' and original departments need to take action in the system.
  • If the secondment is in a different department, HR Administrators from both departments should finalise details off-system before updating in People Management.
  • If the individual has Manager Self-Service access, remove it during the secondment; raise a Service Request for this and reinstate upon their return.
  • If a secondment becomes permanent, this will need to be represented as a 'transfer' or a 'contract replacement' (within the same department) in the system. Follow the steps in this guide.

System guidance:

1. To create a new secondment appointment, refer to 'Create additional appointment' section in this guide and follow the steps from that point onward.

2. To amend the previous appointment, follow the guidance here.

Secondments outside the University

  • For secondments to external organisations, amend their current appointment, following the guidance here.

DO NOT end the substantive appointment during a secondment arrangement.


Appointing someone as an 'underfill'

In certain circumstances new starters (in grades 1-10) may be appointed on one grade lower than the substantive post grade. Check the HR Support website for guidance on this.

IMPORTANT - Once you have the candidate who is to be appointed at the lower grade, email the Reward Team with a request to update the planned appointment to the lower grade. You will be notified by email when it is done, and you can proceed with appointing at the new lower grade. Ensure that the contract of employment issued to the employee states the correct grade.

Follow this appointing guide carefully, which includes notes specific to underfills.

Promoting to substantive grade

Once the employee can be ‘promoted’ to the substantive grade, raise a staff request to set up a new planned appointment at the higher grade. Follow the Create and approve staff request guide. Then proceed to appoint the employee into a new appointment following the replace an existing appointment part of this guide.

When an application for a regrade is submitted to the Reward team, this must be accompanied by a staff request being raised. Once an employee’s grade of the post has been reviewed and regraded, a new appointment must be set up. 

System Guidance: To create the new appointment, refer to 'Replace existing appointment in a department you can access' section in this guide and follow the steps from that point onward. The start date should always be the first day of the month in which the regrading application was received by the Reward team. 

NB: Where appropriate, departments may make a non-pensionable lump sum payment to compensate staff for working at a higher grade. This lump sum can equate to the value of the difference in salary for up to 12 months. Please communicate this to Payroll via the Salary Comments field. This will show on your payroll costing report against the pay element ‘regrading’.

Departments can generally choose whether a non-employee needs a record to be set-up or not except for agency workers who, to comply with employment law, must be set-up in PeopleXD as non-employees. There are certain things to consider when setting up a non-employee record that are outlined throughout the appointing guidance.

The following table includes examples and details of non-employees

Type Description

Agency staff

(mandatory to record)

An agency worker is someone who works for the University, under University supervision and direction, but who has a contract with, and is paid by, the external temporary work agency or other provider who supplied them. See also Update agency worker records at 12 weeks.
Self-employed contractors, consultants and contract workers Full details of these types can be found
Visiting academic/student

Typically a visitor is an academic or researcher who is not a University employee or worker. More information can be found on th HR Support pages

Titular associate professor

This appointment will cover the period for which the College is fully responsible for payment of salary.


Note * Any type of non employee that reQuires a R12 record, will need a non-employee record set up in PeoleXD.

If post was advertised on a permanent basis and successful applicant must have fixed-term contract due to visa restrictions, use the permanent post and ensure the following is recorded when completing the Contract Information on the Appointment Wizard:

Field Text
Target End Date Based on contract 
Employee Status Fixed term
Comments include “visa restrictions require fixed term contract”


If the individual's right to work status changes in the future and they later have indefinite right to remain, their appointment will need to be updated, refer to Make appointment and pay changes guidance.